Well veneering was a bit more difficult than expected.  I decided to strip off the damaged old veneer rather than try to stabilize it.  After steaming and scraping it off, the top warped, so I took the veneer off the back.  Now from all the heat I wasn’t confident in the stability of the top.  Ended up having to laminate and cut a walnut back to glue to the top to stabilize it.  Finally, I was able to pull out the veneer. My first attempt to veneer, including a 4 way book matched top.  Seemed to go alright.  Spread out the glue and put it in the press for two hours. Now to trim and finish.  A lot of work.  Probably would have been easier just to reproduce a new top.  At least I learned a few things along the way.

Advertisements

Feedback

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s