ass/2 rosette attempt

Back to the guitar… test run of my first rosette.

I had glued up a log of walnut and locust strips for my rosette.  I cut 30 and approx. 33 3/4 degree slices by hand with a quick homemade miter box.  Then glued the pieces together into 30 degree segments.  Came out OK, but I think I can do better.

Now that I have a small bandsaw, I made a table and crosscut sled.  Figured I’d try slicing my rosette log with it to see how it would look.

With some fiddling I think I could make these work, but I have about 10” of the log left to play with.  I think I only used about 2” so far.  Now I’ll set up for the cuts on the bandsaw and see if I can get a bit better result.

Once the herringbone part is done, I plan on bordering it with walnut and locust purflings.  I have those rough cut, but need to figure out how to properly thickness them to about .040”-.060” without a drum sander.  Just got some W1 tool steel which I may try making blades with for a scraping fixture.

Advertisements

Feedback

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s