First rosette in first soundboard

Phew!  One rosette in.  Just a bit more to clean up, mostly with the scraper.  A couple little chips in the mosaic I need to fill.  Pretty pleased so far.  I was a bit worried as my purfling is cut by hand and is not absolutely consistent.

Based on some advice from a luthiery forum I’ve been posting on I took this top down to around .090” in thickness, after the rosette channel was chiseled out, which is about .050” deep.  I took the other top to .085”.  I need to chisel out the channel on that one.

So far, so good.  I’d knock on wood, but this stuff is fragile!  No need to steam out (another) dent.

Advertisements

Feedback

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s