I had plans of making a scraping fixture for my purfling. Started looking for materials and ended up just clamping a blade I had made to the machinist vise.
And after working on my spruce tops, I found a drum sander on craigslist and broke down and bought it. About 2 years old. Barely used, but set up very well by the owner. It also came with a bunch of sandpaper rolls. All for about half price of a new one.
I re-sanded my already planed adirondack top. Spruce is easy to plane, but its also scary because it cuts so fast. One slip, knock of the blade, or a bit of tear out, when getting close to thickness (around .100″ in this case), and the piece is easily ruined.
I feel a bit guilty, because I really like to use hand tools. But this takes the most labor intensive part and makes it easy, and very accurate. I can also sand down veneers and bindings much better. So this should allow me to do some of the details that would have been extremely tough if not impossible before, like 1/32″ thick book matched headplates, etc…