I guess I neglect to update every so often. My first three steel string guitars, and my 3rd, 4th and 5th total, are finished. Took quite a while. I used micro mesh to polish out the lacquer after it cured. … Continue reading →
Finished my guitar stands and finally moved them out of the shop. The humidity in my house is pretty close to what it was in the shop when everything was glued up, which makes me fairly comfortable.
Didn’t really plan on the guitars matching the woodwork, but it kind of seemed to work that way. This is my music room, though I still need to move a few pieces of furniture in, which requires either finding or making a new table. That’s a whole other story.
Actually I have a picture rail in that room. I put the guitars in and thought “why didn’t I just make hangers for them for the picture rail?”, it would have been much easier. I’ll probably make some one of these days.
Finally, I was able to really clean up the workshop in preparation to make a mess again in the very near future.
Well… they are both done! My first guitar(s). I don’t really have a bucket list, but if I did, building a guitar was definitely on it. So, hypothetically speaking, could I check that off my list twice? Started these somewhere … Continue reading →
Well… its alive! My first acoustic guitar. Weighs in at 3.25 pounds. Mad dash to get this strung up today. Still minor things to do, but I just needed to hear one of these. Oh and I went with a … Continue reading →
Almost forgot. I should put a label in the sound hole before I string up the guitars.
Brainstormed a version of my typical dB initials that looks a bit instrumentish. I hate my handwriting but I don’t think I want to print these either. I think if I take my time pen and ink can work.
Thoughts on logo, text, border, etc… I know people obsess on this type stuff, but my plan is to draw these up and have them in pretty damn quick so I can string these up.
Up early. I think best first thing in the morning after a bit of food and more than a bit of coffee. Anyway, bridge is on guitar one. Set to scale length, plus compensation factor, with a lexan template I … Continue reading →
Ok. I’m calling the French polish done. I will not touch them again, I promise. Shellac and alcohol has been put away. I’ll let them cure for a couple days. Meanwhile I practiced a bit by removing and making a … Continue reading →
Ok. I’m calling the french polish on number 2 done. I’m fairly happy with this. The grain and little rays on this redwood is really nice. Its come a long way from the old fence board. Shellac curing and oiling the fingerboard for a few days. I think once I put the bridge on and polish it up it will look good.
Number one is another story. I wasn’t happy with a few spots on the top and was trying to get them to look nice. Well… then i put a big scratch in the top with my fingernail. So… I sanded it down again! This may have been a blessing because I could correct the spots I didn’t like. I’m getting close to finishing my third attempt at that top. If all goes well, just another few sessions and I’ll be done. It is looking much better already.
I will put the bridge on number one before I try the second one, even though guitar number two briefly pulled ahead in progress. I can’t wait to be done with these. Excited to hear how they sound. Maybe more excited to start something else.
Almost ready to clean up and polish guitar number two after pore filling. I hope it’s enough. Last minute decision to sand and re polish the top on guitar number one before I put on the bridge. The fumed locust … Continue reading →