Started fretting the guitars. I have two done so far. These were my first bound fretboards so I had to clip the tang off the fret to go over the binding. I made a little device based on one I had seen, with some modifications. I call it the Detanginator. Worked really well to grind off the tang and dress the bottom.
All the guitars have been oiled and sealed with shellac.
One more to fret. Then to build, locate and mask off the bridges. Then I should be close to spraying lacquer. That should be interesting as a first.
Masked off the two flamed maple guitars for stain. Opposite color schemes for these.
Used a homemade walnut stain I made last fall. Dark back and sides on one, dark bindings on the other.
Added a couple coats of boiled linseed oil/turpentine mix to help accent the figure, careful to mask off the top and neck.
I have the neck on the third guitar, but I’m not happy with how it seated. I may remove it and reset it. I guess I’ll get a bit of experience steaming apart a neck joint. Hope to get that done soon and the neck back on with a nicer fit.
Then on to shellac sealing, fretting, bridge making and the lacquer finish.
I’ve been slowly shaping necks. Got the first one to where I think its a good shape. I have a hard time telling on neck shape as I’m not much of a guitar player… hell, I don’t even own a real steel string guitar.
Sanded both the body and the neck, crossed my fingers and glued it on. Overall I’m fairly happy.
There are a few things I’d like to improve as I progress. Of course, I noticed spots that needed more sanding as soon as I looked at it in a different light.
While the hot hide glue was heated up, I glued the fretboard on the third neck. The second guitar is pretty close to being ready for assembly too. Just a bit more sanding on both pieces.
I’m going to stain parts of both of the flamed maple guitars. Hope to start that soon. I have a few steps before I can seal with shellac. Then the frets, then the finish.
Made a prototype adjustable radius sanding block. Had to figure out how to radius these fretboards.
It worked well. Sanded the fretboards down to 120. I made a second block at the same time. A bit more low profile. I put 220 paper on there for use when everything is on the guitar.
I have the headstocks thinned down and the veneers on all three. They are all in semi different stages of preliminary carving. The heel is the only thing that really needs to be pretty close at this point, just so the neck can be fit once more before the fretboard is attached. Final carving won’t get done until the fingerboards are on.
I need to figure out what to do for the side markers. Once they’re done, a fretboard can go on at least one of the necks. The rest to follow shortly after.
I just couldn’t resist laying one of the fingerboards on as I was checking the neck fit. Seeing that makes me excited. Also makes me thing of how much sanding i need to do, which always seems to wait till absolutely last minute. It also makes me think about the damn finishing work!