Or at least it looks that way. It was recommended to cook the new spruce tops at 200 degrees for an hour. Then freeze, then cook again. This sets the pitch (sap) in the wood, basically artificially aging it.
PIcked a set of adirondack out of the stack and cooked it as well. Choice was easy. I used the smallest set, which was plenty big for these OOs.
Stickered all the wood between sheets of ply and tied it up. Bought a cheap oven thermometer because I have a gas oven and wasn’t confident on the setting being correct.
Decided at last minute to use the digital meat thermometer as well. Set it to alarm at 203. Went of twice until I got the oven dialed in properly. Note the most important tool of all in the background.
Now to freeze it for a few days and then cook one more time. I can work on the backs and necks in the mean time.
They are as done as they are going to be until I get ready to fit the tops and backs.
Two sets of flamed maple and one cherry.
This is what I’m going to do with them:
Guitar #3- Flamed maple back and sides, Lutz Spruce top
Guitar #4- Flamed maple back and sides, Adirondack Spruce top
Guitar #5- Cherry back and sides, Lutz Spruce top
The necks will be mahogany. The only changes other than what I listed above will be aesthetic, such as veneers, binding, purfling, etc…
Hoping that a comparison of sound between 3 & 4 will show the difference between top woods and between 3 & 5 will show differences between backs/sides.
At least that’s the plan. My first two guitars were made as similar as I could make them, yet there is a difference in sound between them. If nothing else, I hope to turn out three decent instruments.
On to the next steps.