I have a new corner, or wall, in the workshop. Made a quick bench out at my dad’s shop, using his power tools, mainly because I don’t really have room for anything major. Used two old drawers and built around them. Put the new bench in. Just put the stainless top on it. Hung some pegboard. Nice little home for the dehumidifier and fixtures underneath. Drawers for my sharpening items. I hung the pegboard from the wall with big brackets over the aluminum bar. At some point I can make storage up top, maybe 18″ deep of open rail shelving, for wood or lightweight fixtures, etc… Not much more I can fit in the shop.
In a world, where one work bench isn’t enough… there lurks another. Across the room, in the shadows…it sits and waits. It’s jaws ready to clamp on whatever passes by… Work Bench II… coming soon… to a shop near…me?
Ok, seriously, even though that was awesome and I could have gone on, I finished my other work bench today. Just added some aluminum facing, a shelf underneath and some bracing. Hope to be moving this, the wood bench and a lot of my stuff into my shop sometime next week.
Things are moving. Music room has been repainted. New bedroom, repainted. Workshop is next. I’ll post some pics of that stuff once I get things back in. Loving all the changes and new colors so far.
Started another work bench for my new shop in between xmas presents. This will be an assembly/general work bench. Used old porch posts for the legs. Plywood and masonite top. Rehabbed and installed a vise I was given. I plan … Continue reading →
Finally finished and assembled my work bench. The ammonia fuming didn’t get the oak as dark as I expected, but it definitely highlighted the grain pattern. Finished with Linseed Oil, then a Boiled Linseed Oil, Turpentine and Bee’s Wax mix. … Continue reading →
Ok I lied. One more bench post before its finished. I planed and sanded everything and disassembled. Made a make shift tent to fume in. Wrapped it up tight and threw in three jars with 1/2” or so of 28% … Continue reading →
This should be my last post of my bench progress before its finished. I decided to make a chain drive vise on the end. Gathered some vintage pillow blocks that were laying around at work, along with some chain, sprockets, … Continue reading →
Made a couple modified saw horses/kid’s work benches while waiting for glue to dry. Added a home made vise to each and made the front straight, kind of a mini version of a bench. I figured that the kids would … Continue reading →
Workbench… getting close. Made the vise face and mounted the vise. Made a walnut endcap with slots for holding tools that are in use. I’ll add a plane stop to that side as well. Working on the other end now, which I decided to fabricate and incorporate a twin screw vise. After that I’ll drill the holes in the top and face for the hold downs. Waiting for my industrial ammonia to fume the oak. Then an oil finish.
More bench progress. Mortised the top to receive the tenons on the legs. Attached the top with a threaded walnut “bolt”, strictly so the top doesn’t lift off if I move it. No metal hardware yet. But that will change with the vise, which is half mounted.
Bench progress. Top halves planed and glued together along with the face board. Need to mount the top onto the tenons, make vice face and mount it, drill holes for hold downs then finish. Played with fuming oak samples with ammonia. The 10% consumer stuff doesn’t work well. I’ll have some 28% industrial ammonia to try next week. Not that its needed, but fun to play with finishing techniques.