First rosette in first soundboard

Gallery

This gallery contains 2 photos.

Phew!  One rosette in.  Just a bit more to clean up, mostly with the scraper.  A couple little chips in the mosaic I need to fill.  Pretty pleased so far.  I was a bit worried as my purfling is cut … Continue reading

Rosette test fit, take one

Image

Rosette trial dry fit

One more test in the redwood.  New blade for the cutter worked well.  Quick coat of shellac on the top helped with tear out.  Recorded all the measurements on my cutter, which I set with my caliper.  Need to go a hair deeper on the real thing.

Came out ok.  Segments matched up better with one purfling strip on the inside as opposed to two, so I’ll go with that.  Wasn’t happy with my walnut strip on the outside, so I cut and bent more.  These segments are delicate!  A few little pieces came off just with handling.  I’ll probably cut and add little bits as I install.

Now on to the real soundboards.

Scraping walnut

Image

Scraping in a raking light. Waiting for a cutter blade to anneal in the oven.
Backs are about to thickness. Weight is within 2 grams of each other. This piece had some knots I didn’t see till I resawed it. Doesn’t really bother me though. The other back is a bit nicer.

Thickness planing backs and tops

Gallery

This gallery contains 3 photos.

Prior plans of planing proceeding presently! Two redwood tops close to final thickness at around .105”-.110”.  I’ll scrape more after the rosettes are installed. One walnut back getting close and one more that hasn’t been started yet. Some areas of these were … Continue reading

Made a rosette cutter…

Gallery

This gallery contains 4 photos.

Made a rosette cutter while waiting for glue to dry on my soundboards. I had made a prototype out of rosewood scraps, but cracked a piece when tightening down the blade, so I made a new one out of aluminum. … Continue reading

Black locust from a fence post and some fuming

Gallery

This gallery contains 4 photos.

Guitar stuff last week… I decided to use black locust for my fingerboard and bridge.  Cut the rough blanks a month or two ago, yet again, from the old locust post and brought them to the shop to aclimate.  I’ve … Continue reading

Little tools are so cute!

Gallery

This gallery contains 2 photos.

My first home made plane… Isn’t it precious! Just finished it.  Rosewood sides, not sure what the middle is.  Solid brass drawer pull cut down for the pin.  Didn’t really go off of plans, just figured I’d try.  Test cuts … Continue reading