Ok. I’m calling the french polish on number 2 done. I’m fairly happy with this. The grain and little rays on this redwood is really nice. Its come a long way from the old fence board. Shellac curing and oiling the fingerboard for a few days. I think once I put the bridge on and polish it up it will look good.
Number one is another story. I wasn’t happy with a few spots on the top and was trying to get them to look nice. Well… then i put a big scratch in the top with my fingernail. So… I sanded it down again! This may have been a blessing because I could correct the spots I didn’t like. I’m getting close to finishing my third attempt at that top. If all goes well, just another few sessions and I’ll be done. It is looking much better already.
I will put the bridge on number one before I try the second one, even though guitar number two briefly pulled ahead in progress. I can’t wait to be done with these. Excited to hear how they sound. Maybe more excited to start something else.
Almost ready to clean up and polish guitar number two after pore filling. I hope it’s enough. Last minute decision to sand and re polish the top on guitar number one before I put on the bridge. The fumed locust … Continue reading →
Wash coat of shellac on guitar two. Started filling the pores on the back and sides. Going better than the first. Of course I went over this one in much more detail before I started.
One more pore fill session (I hope) then I can start to polish. The grain on this soundboard is much nicer too. Lots of tiny medullary rays that I hope will show up nicely.
Calling it a scene on the french polish on guitar number one. Far from perfect. This was much different than the easy way out oil and waxes that I always seemed to do. Realized how much more prep and pore … Continue reading →
Lots of trial and error, but I’m starting to see results. Maybe I’ll half know what I’m doing when its time to start the french polish on guitar number two. Still a long way to go though. Taking a break … Continue reading →
Slowly getting the hang of the pumice pore filling. That and trying to fix every imperfection that is now quite apparent.
Still some work to do on the filling. Played with the French polish a bit in spots. That will take some trial and error too. This will be a long process.
Yard work and planning some minor shop upgrades to break the monotony. Also scoping out some wood and working up details for the next guitar.