Did a bit more today. Slept till 9:00 which is surprisingly late for me, but I’ve been sleeping poorly for the past few nights. Early mornings are my most productive time, but I was still able to accomplish some things. Helped that it was super hot out and I didn’t even want to walk outside.
Trimmed up both sided of the body. Final shaped my heel and tail blocks. Then I glued them on. I’m trying to use as much hot hide glue this time as I can. I was a bit worried as I’ve never really used it before. Seems to be OK despite my wavering attitude about it over the course of the day.
Planed down and notched my basswood kerfing strips. I decided to add a thin reinforcement band on the inside. This is fairly common now, but definitely a departure from the 1937 plan. Found some cedar strips that were about the right height so I cut them to size. Cedar was not my original plan, but it was there, and I think a bit of contrast from the all light wood interior will be nice. Plus it will make the guitar smell really good.
I almost talked myself out of hide glue for the kerfing, but decided to go for it. Gluing is definitely a much different experience. You have to be fast! But you don’t need to wait long till it sets up. Glued my kerfing strips on. While they set up I prebent the cedar, which burns really quickly. Had to scrape off a lot of burn marks. Then I glued up the cedar strips.
Pulled off the high tech clamps and will let it sit overnight. I need to clean up the top with a plane and I’ll probably profile the cedar to a slight taper.
Next I move the form to the other side, plane the slope on the back and do the same kerfing, etc… on the other side.