Almost ready to clean up and polish guitar number two after pore filling. I hope it’s enough. Last minute decision to sand and re polish the top on guitar number one before I put on the bridge. The fumed locust … Continue reading →
Locust fingerboards and bridges. Before and after ammonia fuming session. Color is definitely a bit odd, but don’t fret, a coat of oil will make these a dark honey color. Should look interesting with the redwood and walnut. Fingerboard is … Continue reading →
Where’s that confounded bridge? Working on it. Commence bridge making sequence- Planed to dimension. The grain in these pieces was really nice, it planed really easily. Cut the ends square. Marked and scribed the cut lines. Cut depth of wings with … Continue reading →
Finished slotting my fretboards. Planed them to a taper. Aligned with the center lines on each guitar and tapped in pins. Rounded the ends for the sound hole. Then sanded. These are ready to go. Bridges up next. I’ll fume … Continue reading →
Planed down my locust fingerboards. Made a quick fixture to slot them. Used 14 gauge galvanize that I marked off and notched to locate in the fixture. Done with one. On to two. Will prep and sand these fully along with the bridges. Then fume them to darken before I attach.
Binding channels on one almost done. Still need to carry them into the neck and heel. Not very pretty, but they should clean up a bit and hopefully work ok. Decided to glue on the butt strip in the mean time.
I must say, this was my least favorite part. Not very easy, especially when the grain on the top or back likes to be cut in the opposite direction of the sides. I also realized I need to add purfling to the back, just so I don’t have a walnut on walnut joint. I should be able to cut enough little strips of locust, I only need 4. That also requires chiseling out a tiny channel around the back, approximately 1/16” wide, but only about half way through the thickness of the back plates, which is about .040” deep.
I’ll finish the second one by hand too. Not sure if I would do it again though.
Two rosettes are installed! Didn’t get a lot of time to work on things this week. But the second rosette went in easier than the first. Both planed and scraped flush with the tops. For my first guitars and first … Continue reading →
Phew! One rosette in. Just a bit more to clean up, mostly with the scraper. A couple little chips in the mosaic I need to fill. Pretty pleased so far. I was a bit worried as my purfling is cut … Continue reading →