Last of the rosette nonsense.

I was pretty happy with the last two rosettes.  Especially the channels, which came out really clean.  I’m not sure if I could have done any better with a router.

Nice and clean, all with hand tools.

Nice and clean, all with hand tools.

Oh, and what do I see… another tiny plane….giggles… how cute!  Despite how damn adorable these are, they are real tools.  Used the block plane to flatten out the bulk.  It was like pushing a toy car around a racetrack.  Sharp little sucker made some nice shavings.

Precious little sharp cutie!

Close up of the last rosette.  Only difference with this one is the cherry purfling to match the cherry guitar.  The others were flamed maple.  This shows the lutz spruce a bit better, which is absolutely gorgeous.  Tight grain, nice medullary rays.  I hope my finish will do it justice.

3rd rosette

And a pic of all three before final sanding to thickness and cutting out the soundholes.

Three tops

On to the bracing now.  I’d love to say I split it all, but there were a few minor knots to work around.  Split bracing ensures quartered grain, which is the stiffest and most stable, and is very important on braces which need to be as light and as strong as possible.  I split the billet along a grain line, planed the side flat, and used that side to band saw my brace material with the proper grain orientation.

splitting bracing

I hope to have these tops braced up, or almost all braced up by early next week.

Spruce… its what’s for dinner.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Or at least it looks that way.  It was recommended to cook the new spruce tops at 200 degrees for an hour.  Then freeze, then cook again.  This sets the pitch (sap) in the wood, basically artificially aging it.

PIcked a set of adirondack out of the stack and cooked it as well.  Choice was easy.  I used the smallest set, which was plenty big for these OOs.

Adirondack spruce tops

Stickered all the wood between sheets of ply and tied it up.  Bought a cheap oven thermometer because I have a gas oven and wasn’t confident on the setting being correct.

cooking spruce

Decided at last minute to use the digital meat thermometer as well.  Set it to alarm at 203.  Went of twice until I got the oven dialed in properly.  Note the most important tool of all in the background.

low tech temp monitor

Now to freeze it for a few days and then cook one more time.  I can work on the backs and necks in the mean time.

Well, enough with the sides already!

gibson OO sides Gibson OO sides1

 

They are as done as they are going to be until I get ready to fit the tops and backs.

Two sets of flamed maple and one cherry.

This is what I’m going to do with them:

Guitar #3- Flamed maple back and sides, Lutz Spruce top

Guitar #4- Flamed maple back and sides, Adirondack Spruce top

Guitar #5- Cherry back and sides, Lutz Spruce top

The necks will be mahogany.  The only changes other than what I listed above will be aesthetic, such as veneers, binding, purfling, etc…

Hoping that a comparison of sound between 3 & 4 will show the difference between top woods and between 3 & 5 will show differences between backs/sides.

At least that’s the plan.  My first two guitars were made as similar as I could make them, yet there is a difference in sound between them.  If nothing else, I hope to turn out three decent instruments.

On to the next steps.