A bit more than making a new bridge

This is my dad’s first and, if I’m not mistaken, only guitar.

IMG_8768

Its a Harmony archtop, probably from the mid 50’s.  Dad just told me he got it in third grade.  This has been moved around a bunch.  I had it for a few years and most recently my sister had it.  I just got it back with the intention of making a new bridge for it and cleaning it up a bit.  Turns out that it needed much more.

The neck dovetail was pulling out, which cracked the side.  I later found out it cracked the neck block as well.

IMG_8769

So I decided to see what I could do with it, both for experience, and so it was playable and not destined for the trash.  This was a first for me.  He’s what I did, in pictures:

IMG_8787 IMG_8803 IMG_8825 IMG_8860 IMG_8871 IMG_8925 IMG_8934

 

Well, that was exciting.  I used hot hide glue for all repairs.  I put the neck back on.  Nice and straight.

IMG_8949 IMG_8951

Now on to making the new bridge, in pictures:

IMG_8960 IMG_8964 IMG_8966 IMG_8967 IMG_9026 IMG_9030 IMG_9032

 

The finish was pretty rough.  I could have spent a ton of time on it or even refinished it.  Not being a valuable instrument, I just did some minor touch ups.

It plays much better then it ever did.  The ridiculously high action that I always remembered is gone and it plays and sounds pretty well.

Glad I gave that a shot.

Advertisements