This is my dad’s first and, if I’m not mistaken, only guitar.
Its a Harmony archtop, probably from the mid 50’s. Dad just told me he got it in third grade. This has been moved around a bunch. I had it for a few years and most recently my sister had it. I just got it back with the intention of making a new bridge for it and cleaning it up a bit. Turns out that it needed much more.
The neck dovetail was pulling out, which cracked the side. I later found out it cracked the neck block as well.
So I decided to see what I could do with it, both for experience, and so it was playable and not destined for the trash. This was a first for me. He’s what I did, in pictures:
Well, that was exciting. I used hot hide glue for all repairs. I put the neck back on. Nice and straight.
Now on to making the new bridge, in pictures:
The finish was pretty rough. I could have spent a ton of time on it or even refinished it. Not being a valuable instrument, I just did some minor touch ups.
It plays much better then it ever did. The ridiculously high action that I always remembered is gone and it plays and sounds pretty well.
Well veneering was a bit more difficult than expected. I decided to strip off the damaged old veneer rather than try to stabilize it. After steaming and scraping it off, the top warped, so I took the veneer off the … Continue reading →
Well, I finished the Gerstner chest I bought. Made a new top piece for the cover. Stain came out a bit darker than I would have liked, even though my test pieces came out lighter??? Well, I never claimed to … Continue reading →
Adventures in bridge work… the finale. Ok, strung up the guitar. Strings needed to settle for quite a bit. I don’t think this guitar has seen full string tension in at least 20 years. It sounds good and plays well … Continue reading →
Adventures in bridge work… part 5. Bridge attached, waxed, and frets cleaned up. Now I just need to find the strings I bought, string it up and try it out. I’m pleased so far with how it came out, being … Continue reading →
Adventures in bridge work… part 4. Prep, glue and clamp. I did most of the final sanding on the bridge. Set it’s placement with a piece of wood cut to the scale length, which was clamped and centered on the … Continue reading →
Adventures in bridge work… Part 3. Bone saddle. The saddle from the old bridge was glued in and did not come out easily. The kerf from the table saw left a larger slot, so I had to make a new … Continue reading →