Progressing… slowly.

After a few days of no real work in the shop, I was able to get a few things done over the past few days.

Fit up my third dovetail neck.  Paid close attention and used some quick gauges to make sure the angles were consistent.  Best of the three.  These will be final fit once the heels are carved.

neck dovetail 3

Routed the slots for the truss rods.  Made use of my binding fixture with a temporary fence.

improvised router table

Glued up some headstock veneer from scraps that came off the back material.

Veneer book matching

Trued up three rosewood fingerboards from the Martin wood stash.  Made a new 24.75” scale template for my home made fret slotting fixture.  Then proceeded to slot the boards.

home made slotting fixture

 

fretboards

Next step is tapering, sanding to radius and binding on the fretboards.  Then on to thicknessing the headstocks and laminating on front and back veneers.

Advertisements

Up way too early this morning. Again.

 

Got started on my binding and purfling.  Fairly straightforward binding, but I’m using a lot of thin veneers which is a first.  Held it up to the guitar just to make sure I liked it.

binding scheme

Got everything measured, thicknessed, etc… Routed the ledges in on the adirondack top guitar.  Binding ledge is .080” into the body and about .350” high.  Purfling ledge is around .060” deep and .180” into the top.  Came out pretty clean.

binding ledges

 

ready for binding

Started gluing the purfling lines on one side at a time.  Normally most people install the end graft prior to binding.  I’m going to do mine after the purfling is in, mostly because I have a “different” end graft scheme that I may try.  I did a sample.  I like it, and I hope I can pull it off.  I hesitate to post any pics before I know if I can make it work.

IMG_7435

Hope to have all the purflings on this one tonight.  Keeping my fingers crossed that there are no gaps when I pull the tape.  Then I can see how ambitious I am on the end graft.  Need a better night sleep for that.

 

This post is legally binding…

Ok, forget legally, its just about binding.

Last guitar I cut my own binding and purfling, which was fine, but they were thick a bit less detailed.  This time I ordered veneer to make my binding and purfling with.  This is the only semi-finished wood I’ve used so far and I’m feeling a bit guilty.  The veneers are either .020″ or .030″ thick, which would be tough to cut myself with the equipment I have.  At least I’m laminating it all as opposed to buying it pre-done, which is harder in some ways, and probably easier in others.

veneers

The easier part is that I can attach the side purfling right to the binding, therefore being able to bend and install it at the same time.  Purfling for the top and back still has to be done separately.

Here is how I did the binding for the flamed maple guitars.

I had some 1″ thick flamed maple left over, so I cut it in half, leaving approx 5/16″ high by 1″ wide x 32″ long strips.  The grain in this was flat, which is perfect because when cut it from the side it shows the quartersawn face which will have the most flame.  Then I cut strips of veneer (.020 black, .030 white and .020 black) and laminated them to the bottom of the flamed maple, essentially making a sandwich.

veneer stackingclamping

This is where I used a heat and water proof glue as opposed to hide glue, as these will be bent later.  Then I planed each side flat and cut .080″ wide pieces on the bandsaw.  This left a planed side on each piece.  Then I did the same till the sandwich was all cut.

More fun shavings Flamed maple BWB binding

This was definitely fun.  I never really knew how all that detail was done before I started investigating.  I’m keeping this pretty simple and standard on these.  The hard part is getting all the purfling to line up properly and mitering around corners, etc… thats where the challenge will be.

I’m gluing up the binding for the cherry guitar now.  Then I just need to make purfling strips for the tops, backs and rosettes.

Headstock surgery

Gallery

This gallery contains 5 photos.

And todays progress… Used my aluminum fixture to drill holes for the tuners.  Added shims to center.  Then on to slotting the headstock. Classic guitar making book calls for drilling two holes and cutting between with a coping saw.  Have … Continue reading

Peghead veneer

Gallery

This gallery contains 5 photos.

More guitar progress… over the past week. Used the band saw to cut some veneer slices off of a figured part of the big walnut board.  Book matched and scraped flat to about .050” for headstock veneers.  Clamped and laminated … Continue reading