I was actually fairly unproductive this weekend compared to some. But I did get a few things done.
Looked at the maple I cut for the backs and decided what grain orientation I liked. Traced on the pattern and joined the edges. Object is to see no light through the joint, which is not easy to do. Joined… then held up to the window… then saw where the light was, touched up, back to window… saw where the light was… Well, it took a few tries but I got one.
Using hot hide glue has been interesting. You have less than a minute to spread glue, assemble and clamp. Maybe more time if the room is hot, so that means I have less time. Figured my best method was to get one side in place, spread glue on the other, wedge them together and weight the joint so it was even. I think it looks odd, but worked. A bonus is that I briefly got to use my other passion… random heavy industrial metal parts.
Tonight I cut out the shape and started to thickness. I’ve only done this a couple times, but each time I think “damn you, asshole… learn to resaw better!” I guess I can see why people use drum sanders. I would imagine most mechanically inclined persons could a set a machine to a specific depth and push a button. But it takes a very stubborn person to set up a plane and push it 15,000 times. But its ok, I kind of like spending that kind of time on something, just looking, cutting, sweating, cutting, swearing, feeling, cutting, sweating… It was a good workout too.
Still more to go on this one. Then, two more… Yay!
Apologies for going off a bit. I think I’m dehydrated.